Friday, April 23, 2010

Sleepy Hollow

A few weekends back we packed a lunch and caught a train up to Sleepy Hollow with our friends the Winstons to celebrate the 160th birthday of the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.  It was a beautiful day and a very fun outing.

 
Since Sleepy Hollow was made famous by Washington Irving's story "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" there was an appearance of The Headless Horseman himself.
  Emma was to scared of to join the kids in this picture and it was too sunny for me to realize that Owen had a weird shadow on his face.


The kids are on the bridge that Ichabod Crane rode across while being chased by the headless horseman.
This guy was doing reading of Washington Irving's works and answering questions.  I thought he looked charming.
 
This is Andrew Carnegie's grave.  I love the ornate the celtic cross.  There kids are checking out the money because there is a tradition of leaving a coin on his headstone.

 
They had a beautiful old church at the edge of the old graveyard.  Here are the children in an old pew pretending to sing.

Some of the sites were so over the top!  This one had a Christus and several angels.  One site had a bust of a man and an angel in flowing robes weeping below him.  Of course there were several mausoleum but i forgot to take any pictures of them.  Steven took an awesome picture of John siting in the lap of a sculpture of another weeping woman that was across from one of the mausoleums.


 I made the kids stop and pose by this tombstone because it had {almost} there three names on it. John, Rose and Olwen so I had Owen cover up the L.
Owen has been obsessed with the Metro-North train {of course} so I wanted to take a picture of him in front of the train but was completely unsuccessful.  This old lady is trying to scoot him out of the way so she can walk by. So I moved him to the other side of the platform and she walked in front of us right as I was trying to take that picture as well.
Then I tried to take a picture with Emma but she wanted to give her water bottle to Daddy. 


Because the train was about to leave and we had to hurry this was the last shot i was able to take. Not the best cropping job.  Oh well.

No comments: